- After being a lurker for a couple of months, I created my own blog on 2/14/12. Since then, I have participated in 51 Flannel Friday posts. (Personally, I am kind of impressed with that since there are only 52 weeks in a year. I must have doubled up a couple of times.)
- While I wasn't too sure about this whole blog thing, I have kept with it. While I started it for Flannel Friday posts, I have expanded into early literacy, collection development, and other programs. I have found that I have lots of ideas and opinions and this is a good format for them. :)
- In addition to regular posts, I have hosted 5 round-ups over the past 13 months. If you haven't tried it, it is a lot of fun!
- By following other posters, I have a gigantic TBD (to be done) pile, in addition to random ideas pinned in Pinterest. This fall I realized that I was coming away from Flannel Friday with a lot of new flannels and ideas so I started pinning them to a "Completed Flannelboards" folder on Pinterest so I can cite them in the future. There are a lot more that I still have to add.
- Through blogging and discussions with the Flannel Friday Facebook group, I have gotten better at explaining what I do and why I do it (definitely an important thing when working with early literacy). I have learned new techniques and ideas that have been successfully put into practice. I am a better advocate for myself and my library.
- While it started as a flannel group, that is not all it is. Now, whenever I have a children's question, I ask the Flannel Friday Facebook group first. I have learned that many of us are always online and I get near instant results. My questions have ranged from using iPads in the library to best books to use for a reading night.
This week's round-up is hosted by Sharon at Rain Makes Applesauce.