Friday, July 6, 2012

Flannel Friday-I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Paint Brush

I was going through my files this week preparing for a kindergarten story time that I will be doing on art and found this cool prop.  I made this in 2009 when the summer reading theme was "Get Creative @ Your Library".  The rhyme was found on page 221 of the 2009 manual.

I started off by making the old lady prop.  You will want to make her clothes the size of a paper lunch bag.  The lunch bag will hold the pieces and help her to stand up.  I made her a purple dress and cut a circle out of where her stomach should go.  The flowers are stickers.  I ran the dress through our laminator to make the circle part see-through, but sturdy.  Line the dress up with the paper bag and cut a hole that will match up with the stomach circle on the dress.  Glue the dress to the bag.  I drew and colored the head and hands on white cardstock.  The hands are glued to the front of the dress.  The head is taped to the back of the lunch bag.

Now you will need some things for her to eat.  The trick is to make them big enough to see in her stomach as you add them to the bag.  I used a combination of Microsoft clip art and pictures of our art supplies.  You will need a paint brush, paint, glue, yarn, and clay.

I know an old lady who swallowed a paint brush.
Swallowing that brush sure made her blush!
She really loves art!

Other verses:
That pint of paint made her feel that she'd faint.
That glue made her feel like she had the flu!
Oh darn, she swallowed some yarn!
She swallowed some clay, oh, what a day!

Final verse:
I know an old lady who jumped and dodged,
Until in the morning she'd made a collage.
She really loves art!

If you've ever done an art story time, you will know how difficult it is to find rhymes and flannelboards to go with it (other than ones on colors).  This is definitely one to add to your files!

This week's Flannel Friday round-up is being hosted by Miss Mary Liberry.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative! You are definitely right about how hard it is to find art-related rhymes. This one is great!

    I can just imagine holding up a collage at the end and then giving the kids all the stuff to make their own collage. :-) My storytime friends would love that!

    Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your weekend!
    ~ K ~
    http://librarystorytimeabcs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...