Saturday, June 15, 2013

If I Had a Pet Dinosaur Early Literacy Station

I was looking for something fun to change up our early literacy station, when I saw this great activity on the Deceptively Educational blog.  It is simple, fun, and promotes early literacy!  Plus, she offers a pdf that you can download.  Here's how we turned her worksheet into an early literacy station.

 We took away our post office sorter and put out the worksheet (although I changed the graphic to the one we are using for summer reading).  I am crossing my fingers that one kid doesn't scribble on the whole stack at a time.

 Our sign explains what to do and tells what skills we are working on.

I left the mailbox out to collect the worksheets.  I think that there would be mutiny if I got rid of the mailbox, as the kids LOVE IT!

Completed worksheets will be added to our "book"The kids are actually reading our post office book that we made so I have high hopes for this one too.  Plus, the answers are funny!

To start us off, both of the children's librarians at our branch told about our dinosaurs.  Mine is named George.

Our much-loved post office will be back in the fall, but this gives us a chance to clean and fix up the station as it gets a lot of use.  With how busy summer reading is at our location, this summer station will require minimal staff time, but still provide a quality experience for the kids.  Personally, I can't wait to read what they come up with!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I tried to download the dinosaur sheet from the blog you linked but it wouldn't open? Do you have the PDF hanging out still? I'd love to do this for our writing center activity next month at my library, if you could email it to me, please.

    Thanks,
    Anne
    anne@sotomorrowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if it didn't come through in your email. I just sent in. Honestly, I can't keep them in stock-they are that popular.

      Delete
  2. I'm so tickled that you used this activity! Thanks for linking back to my blog. You have made my night.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...