Thursday, June 27, 2013

Flannel Friday-One, Two, Buckle My Shoe Three Ways

It is the second week of summer reading here, which means I am raiding my files as I don't have the time to come up with something new.  Personally, I feel that every children's librarian should have as many Mother Goose rhymes in their bag of tricks as possible.  We all know that rhymes are important to early child literacy.  Plus, they are fun and are good transition elements for most story times.  As I see new ideas, they are copied and added to my Mother Goose files because I am constantly using them.

This week I thought it would be fun to show off three different ways to tell One, Two, Buckle My Shoe with flannelboards and props.


This flannelboard version is from The Best of Totline Flannelboards.  The pattern and rhyme are included in the book, so all you need to do is copy, color, laminate, and stick with velcro.  If I were making it again, I would add in die cut numbers to coincide with the pictures. 


The other two versions are from Literacy Centers and Activities for Nursery Rhymes, Volume 2 published by Teacher Created Resources.  I wish that they made more books in this series as they include a lot of full color illustrations that you can copy, cut, laminate, and are ready to go.  These I used glue dots to attach to popsicle sticks.  When I retell it, I ask for volunteers to hold the sticks (as I don't have 5 hands).  Some of the kids like to participate.


This series also does awesome folder stories.  Once you set it up, all you need to do is open the folder to tell your rhyme.


This is a lift-the-flap folder story.  I had to use my own copy paper to make the flaps, but the book provided the base pieces for me to copy.  This would also work well in an early literacy center as it is pretty sturdy if you laminate it and fasten the flaps with book tape.

Bridget at What is Bridget Reading? is hosting this week's Flannel Friday round-up.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing, Lisa. I like using nursery rhymes, too. Such interesting ways to share them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! I can use one of these when I read Keith Baker's book, Big Fat Hen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...