Monday, April 1, 2013

Great Shelf Challenge

Many of us have joined up with the Great Shelf Challenge 2013.  The goal of this challenge is to get us to explore our collection in a manageable way.  My goal is to read my way through our E F section (or all of the picture books whose author's last name start with F). 

About this section
I work at a busy branch location with a high focus on children's materials.  That being said, the section that I have chosen has 180 books when they are all checked in.  Hmm, maybe I should have chosen X.

Starting at the beginning
Our first author in the F's is Ian Falconer, author of the popular Olivia series.  Titles today include Olivia Forms a Band, Olivia Saves the Circus, Olivia Builds a Snowlady, Olivia Cooks Up a Surprise, Olivia Meets Olivia, Olivia and the School Carnival, and Olivia and the Best Teacher Ever.  So customers can easily find all of the Olivia books together, we shelve the ones based on the tv series with the original ones written by Ian Falconer.  The originals by Falconer are, by far, better written and illustrated.  They can also be easily read in one sitting.  The ones based on the tv show have a LOT of words and tell you everything that is happening.  They are still mischievous, but they don't leave much to the imagination.  These books are still popular and fill a niche.

Tomorrow I will continue through the world of Olivia.


4 comments:

  1. I'm also doing this & found the 1st book needed to be weeded, a book needed to be repaired and I found 3 or 4 great books that I have never used for great read alouds! I thought I was only going to make my self aware of what is in the library collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! What section did you take on?

      Delete
    2. You both started already?!? It's not April yet!! CHEATERS! :)

      Delete
    3. Check the date, Anne. This was last year! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...