Friday, January 18, 2013

Flannel Friday-More Pizza Box Flannelboards

If you saw my post for the Storytime Swap, you will know that I bought a package of 50 pizza boxes which are just waiting for creative ideas to hit them.  This week I used up 4 more to make Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr. for an early literacy program that we run called Play to Learn.  While I have made Polar Bear, Polar Bear in the past as a large flannelboard, I thought that it would work well with the smaller pizza box size.  Plus, the kids LOVE playing with the animals and making their own noises.

Once again, I pulled out my pizza boxes and used spray glue to adhere felt to the tops.  Darker colored felt worked much better than my last attempt (light green showed too much brown through it for my taste).  Plus, I thought that blue worked well with polar bears!  Most of the shapes are AccuCut dies with puffy paint details.

Polar bear, lion, and hippo
 
Flamingo, zebra, and snake
(Use a horse die cut for the zebra and give him stripes.)
 
Elephant, leopard, and peacock
(I had to run a clip art peacock for the pattern.)
 
Walrus and zookeeper
(The walrus is also a clip art pattern.)
 
 
With 4 sets of Polar Bear, Polar Bear, I am now down to 42 pizza boxes.  I expect that there will be more forthcoming!  I also used 1 pizza box to hold felt scraps less than 1/4 sheet.  That helped to clean up my felt box, but still kept those pieces around because they make great details (eyes, feet, etc.)
 
Katie at Storytime Secrets is hosting this week's round-up.  Have a great week!
 
 

 


5 comments:

  1. Love the creative use of pizza boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great...and how come I never thought of doing this!!! Thanks for sharing the idea. ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the pizza box ideas! Looking forward to seeing more. :)

    Beautiful work on the flannel pieces! I think my favorite is the peacock!

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas on the FFRU this week!
    ~ K ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is making me wish I had an AccuCut desperately! The dies look great against the backgrounds on your pizza boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the pizza box flannelboard sets. Such a great idea to give to kids for travel.

    And your peacock is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...